Monday, February 2, 2009

Music Artist Chris Blake on Indie Music Spotlight Last Night

First of all, I have to say that I'm really enjoying this series of shows. It was really nice having Deb back this week as I had a conversation with Chris Blake.

Chris has had a ton of positive reviews on his music, and rightfully so. I do have to say that I found him to be a really modest guy, and really easy to talk to. He reminded me of some of the other independent artists that we've interviewed, folks like you and me who put their pants on one leg at a time, he just happens to be one of these great musical artists who put out great music and doesn't realize his own talent.

It was a really fun show, I really had a blast doing this interview. Although I have to say that it really turned into a conversation which to me are the best shows. I like it as a host to not have to be firing off questions and have a Q and A session, a discussion is always so much better.

A really insightful discussion it was, Chris didn't have some of the same views on the music industry as some of our previous guests did which was an interesting change of pace for me. I mean after talking to JC Martin, and Pete Berwick who all but want to just stand in front of the majors and give them a one fingered salute talking to someone who isn't really inclined to do that (although he did say he went through that period) was really a change but I couldn't help but agree with some of the things Chris said about myspace (it's free why complain) and the majors (they have the business model and know how to succeed) and while I have to see his point on the majors at the same time business models have to evolve, they have to change and realize that the times have changed, and that there are some really awesome artists who should be heard.

Lets face it, go and listen to Chris's music on Myspace and wonder why the hell we don't hear this on the radio. Instead we hear whatever "mega media whores" thinks we might want to hear, never mind what we really might want to hear.

I'm sorry, but given the music I hear on mainstream music right now, I think that the "whores" are missing the mark.

Just my opinion though, check out the show, right now I think it's one of our best shows that we've done on the "Indie Music Spotlight" series so far. Chris Blake was really insightful on some of his thoughts on the music industry, but I have to say that he really needs to give his own music more credit.

His stuff is really awesome (the definition of awesome to me being something that leaves you in awe and wonder) and I hope that he that might be able to take that and outsiders look at his music and realize it.

There is no shortage of great music on the internet, and he's right up there with the best of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment