Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Record Lables Sue RADIONOMY Over DIY ‘Pirate’ Internet Radio

Earlier this year the royalties due to Sound Exchange for online radio broadcasting increased. Because we use Creative Commons (with a few exceptions where the music is directly licensed to the show) this increase didn't affect Indie Spotlight.

However because so many online radio stations stream mainstream music it was either pay up, shut down, or become a pirate. Because of the fines involved if you are caught pirating music, the overwhelming majority of independent online radio stations decided to shut down. Personally I can't say I blame them, if I were in the same situation I would have as well.

It's been no secret that I've never been a fan of how the majors do things, and that it was only a matter of time before they came after online radio. I've always wondered how it would happen.
As it turns out, they don't seem interested in going after broadcasters themselves, they are going after the sites that host them.

https://torrentfreak.com/record-labels-sue-winamp-owner-over-pirate-internet-radio-160301/

No comments:

Post a Comment