Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Show Updates

Anyone who's been listening to our show over on blogtalkradio is aware of some of the issues we've been having conducting the show. Over the last couple of weeks some of these issues have gotten progressively worse.

Listeners either can't find the show, or get the player to open

You have to go through a minefield of pop up ads

Chatroom doesn't work like it should, or the latest wrinkle, yeah, you get into chat, but it's not the same chat the rest of us are in

Hosts keep losing their switchboard (which is our web based control panel for the show)

One of the "pop up ads" is actually a pop UNDER ad that tries to hi-jack your browser

Shows that continue to broadcast after the live stream ends are no longer archived


Either I or another host have brought these issues up in one of the blogtalkradio communities, or in my case to host support, and the answer is either "thank you for letting us know, we're working on it" or no response at all. I know I personally brought the pop up issue to host support well over a month or two ago, and yet the toxic ones that want to give you a virus are still there. I had this issue again while trying to host my show this week. If there had been a guest this week I would have been embarrassed.

I don't put in the time that I generally do for show preparation, promoting and broadcasting the show for my health. One or two things that happen every once in a while I could deal with, but this huge list of issues that happen nearly EVERY WEEK is something else altogether. Yes I know it's a free site, yes I know it's supported by advertising, yes I understand that there are occasionally going to be issues, but come on, every week when I do the show either my regular listeners have problems or I do?

Much of this started when they redesigned the site back in January. It used to be when something was broken on BTR they fixed it pretty fast so I just figured that I would wait, and ride it out until they did. They've been "working on it" for almost 5 months and there are still issues which makes me think that the sites become more about the advertisers and less about the hosts and listeners. I could even deal with that as long as the damn thing worked, but the fact of the matter is it doesn't, at least like it used to.

So, the show will be moving to a new network sometime during the month of May.

Deb, and Jody Parker (dreaminglad on blogtv) have been lobbying for me to take the show over to blogtv. I've been trying to decided between that, or nowlive. I've been playing with nowlive for a couple of weeks but haven't been able to get it to work quite like I want it to.

After our show on Sunday I went over to blogtv and played around with it for a couple of hours, and was able to get it to work with no problems, so at this point I think the choice is obvious. I have to put together a showpage over there, and Deb and I need to work out how we are going to do the co-host format, but shortly the new home for Indie Music Spotlight will be http://www.blogtv.com/People/riskybusiness04.

Details to be announced on our show on blogtalkradio very soon, and of course I'll post here when the change is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment