Thursday, October 23, 2014

Adventures in Ubuntu (Linux)

Trying to get a streaming player when we're not broadcasting live has been a handful to say the least. I'll be honest while I'm learning a lot about Linux I think that if I had it to do over again, I would have just cleaned out all the garbage that was on that computers previous XP install, and found a way to make that work instead. At the end of the day since I am not planning on using it for any other reason other than to stream the show I don't think it would have mattered anyway.

That being said, I've already wiped it and have done the Ubuntu install, so at this point I really don't have much of a choice other than to run with it. The challenge (besides learning a new operating system) has been finding a player that can link up with the player that I use for the show. I really wish I had done my research, I would have known that the Adobe Flash Media Encoder wasn't supported in Linux.

I guess it doesn't matter now, like I said I'm already in the fight since I've already wiped the Win Xp off of it. There are programs that work similar to the FLME, it's just been a matter of finding which one, and how to install it ect. since I'm doing this on a totally new (at least to me) operating system and learning how it works. Ubuntu is great, but it is still way different than Windows.

Still working on this though, the biggest reason why is that currently the traffic on the show is reminding me of when we were on blogtalkradio. Not a lot of traffic during the live show, but we had a ton of hits on the archive, so I'm still thinking that if there are previous shows streaming on the site when we aren't broadcasting live, people will check that out just as they did on BTR which still gives the musicians the "spotlight".

And that, is what Indie Spotlight is all about anyway. It is taking more time that I expected to make this work, but I will make this work.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show updates;

Sunday nights are still played live on our webs.com site and will be for the foreseeable future. While I did check out another broadcasting site (justcast) I haven't even created a profile there yet much less played with it. Just haven't had time.

I may also need to move the official start time of the show from 9 p.m. to 9:15, I've been working more Sunday nights lately and it's been a challenge to get home on time, and ready to broadcast at the 9 o'clock timeslot.

No comments:

Post a Comment