Thursday, March 14, 2013

Blogtv Going Offline on 3/27/13

Earlier today I found out that blogtv is merging with another web broadcasting site later this month.  I can't say that I was happy about the news to be honest.  While I understand that websites have to evolve, and change in order to survive I don't think that this move on their part will be the best thing for the show, and from some of the comments I read on blogtv's blog, I really don't see many broadcasters from blogtv migrating over to the new site either. 

I took a look at the website they want us to transition to (YouNow.com) and I have to say I didn't like it.  They put pending shows in a queue, and if you don't get enough "likes" while you are broadcasting, your off, done, show over.  So if I don't kiss enough ass, I won't have a show.  I played this game when I was on blogtalkradio trying to get the show featured when I had musician interviews and I'm not going through that again.

For the format that I do, I can't say that I'll survive long over there, and I'm really wondering if it's worth the effort.  With that being said, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet, and am looking at other options.

This is what I have so far;

Took another look at TalkShoe, while I love the site despite it's quirkiness, it doesn't load fast enough and timed out multiple times when I tried it.

I would love to go back to where we started and move back to blogtalkradio, but they still have the restrictions on broadcasting unless you want to pay,(see earlier blogs) sorry, not doing that.

The best option that I've found so far is Justin.tv.  I'm happy to report that they have removed the line in their Terms of Use in regards to all broadcasts being licensed under Creative Commons.  As you all know I love the concept of CC, most of the musicians that I play are licensed under Creative Commons, not all of them are, and I wasn't comfortable playing their music on a site that by default licenses anything that is broadcasted on their site under CC when they didn't license their music to me that way.  So since Justin.tv has changed their policy this is a viable option for the show.  I did a couple of shows over there over a year ago and it worked out really well, to be honest the only reason I didn't just pull up stakes and move the show over there then was the CC requirement, which they have since removed.

I have to be honest I'm still mulling it over, I'll let you guys know what I decide what I'm going to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment