Monday, March 23, 2020

Will I Ever Give Up Facebook for Lent Ever Again?

After Lent is over, and I make my triumphant return to Facebook, will I be giving it up for Lent ever again?

Um, hell no, this has been really hard to do, I really have to commend the people that do this every year. Seriously, how the hell you all do this, every year, I'll never know.

Maybe it's because of all the shit that's going on right now, with the COVID-19 pandemic happening, man, it's hard to put into words what is running through my mind right now.

Would I be a social media justice warrior squashing all the misinformation that is being shared right now? I really don't know, before I began this journey I was really starting to hate all of that. So, would I have gone into sharing more cute and de-stressing things instead? I really don't know.

All I can tell you is this, had I remained on Facebook during this time I would have joined the "stay at home" movement, hell I might have revived the live streaming broadcast for a virtual place for people to hang out, in fact the only reason I haven't done that is because I'm sticking to staying off of Facebook, which would have been my main avenue to promote it.

Since I've already given the short answer to the question above, would I do this again, which is no, now you have the longer answer, which is still no, especially since I feel the isolation that I've talked about in previous blogs in a BIG way.

Facebook has it's purpose, the site has a reason to exist, so now, at least for me is the bigger question, is it a site that we should constantly live on? How different will my relationship with the site when I log back on? We need social media, we are all connected, but does it need to be an obsession?

I think, or at least hope that it'll be very different than how it was before I began this journey. I've learned that while I do need Facebook to find out what's going on, how my friends are dealing with current events, and yes, to be kind of a bullshit buster, I don't need to constantly click back onto the website in an almost obsessive way.

While I do need Facebook, I don't need to come back to Facebook like I was before.

Maybe if nothing else I've learned that along the way.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, this space at the end of the blog was once show notes, then it turned into what the next blog post would be about, going forward this addendum will no longer exist.  I put a TBD on the last blog post because I didn't know what I was going to blog about, and I feel that way now, so, no further need to put a "preview" out there unless I feel like I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment