Sunday, March 1, 2020

How I'm Keeping Up With My Facebook Friends While Off of Facebook

After you don't log into Facebook for more than a day they start sending you emails every day telling you what you are missing out on.



8 Messages? I didn't get that many when I used to log in everyday. I mean, how the hell did people miss this as my profile pic?


I have a theory, maybe people are looking for me on Facebook messenger, unfortunately I never installed that on my phone, but that is my guess for now until I log back in. For those who don't know Facebook Messenger apparently runs as kind of it's own thing, where your Facebook friends can message you off of Facebook. Kinda like other IM programs I suppose. I don't actually have it myself so I don't know, I'm just guessing.

So, let's answer the question, how am I keeping up with my Facebook friends since I'm not currently using Facebook? Um, well, I'm not. As I said before I didn't grab Messenger on my way out so I kinda cut myself off from the whole thing. I did drop links to this blog as well as my Twitter account but as far as I know no one has been by (and if ya do happen to drop in say hi in a comment down below!)

Do I miss my Facebook friends? Yes, some more than others of course but absolutely. I had cultivated a friends list that I'm quite proud of, people from many walks of life not to mention all the family members that I've added along the way. I wonder how people are doing, is this person ok, how's such and such going with so and so, we share so much on Facebook and even as I sit here now, yes, there are 180 people that I'm thinking about wondering how they are doing.

It's weird, but I feel sort of isolated.

Let me try to paint a picture; let's say you are on a boat, and let's make it a cabin cruiser since those are kinda cool, and you hang out on your boat in a lake with several dockside bars. The bar you usually go to is called "Facebook" since that's where all your buddies are and you've been going there for a long time. You sometimes go to the other dockside bars on the same lake, mostly "The Twitter" and "Jack's Place" (my name for this blog in this make believe scenario) but most of the time you go to the Facebook.

So, you are on your boat in the middle of this lake and decide to stop going to Facebook even though that's where all your buddies are, and that leaves just the other two bars. Folks at The Twitter are friendly but it's not the same crowd and the folks that are there are certainly welcoming enough even though it isn't your usual hangout and nobody goes to Jacks Place, mostly because he's kinda lazy and hasn't updated it much lately so it leaves you just kinda hanging out on your boat in the middle of the lake, looking over at the Facebook bar wondering if you should just stop in or stick to your pledge to not stop by, knowing all the while that you'll stick to your pledge since it might be giving you time to do other things, like fix up Jack's Place or go fishing :)

Anyway, that's kind of what it's like, hopefully you understand it better when I mention that I kinda feel isolated. Of course I'm going to see it through, as I said in my first post when I started this journey which is simple, I give up things for Lent to honor Jesus' sacrifice in the desert, yes, but also as a way to improve myself, so that, when it's over and I come back to the thing that I gave up I manage it better, maybe use it for the constructive ways that it can be used instead of, at least in the case of Facebook, a time waster.

And I said this one would be short. I guess not so much, I'll stop promising that lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next blog post will be about my theories as to why Facebook starts sending out emails telling you what you missed since you last logged into the site, including my thoughts on their data mining.


No comments:

Post a Comment